Domestic Revolution

3/26/12

The only cookie recipe you will ever need


I really like cookies. This is a fact. At least once a month I will make a batch, bake up 1/4 of it and freeze the rest so we can have some in a time of cookie shortage. If I don't do this, I will eat all of the cookies. ALL of the cookies in the world. When I want cookies, I want them immediately and I want them to be delicious. 

This is a recipe I invented tonight on just such a cookie requiring occasion. I have been craving perfect oatmeal cookies for awhile now. I kept trying to make them with less sugar or vegan or whatever. Tonight, I said screw it, threw caution to the wind and made me some oatmeal cookies with healthy stuff in them that are in no way healthy. The original recipe can be found here this is my variation with bonus witty asides. Enjoy!


Ingredients

  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup mixed fruit and nut mix (ours was cranberry, pumpkin seed, almond, sunflower seed and cashew)
  • 1 teaspoon coconut extract (out of vanilla)
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • a dash of ground clove
  • the zest and juice from two mandarin oranges
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 cups rolled oats


Directions

  1. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, fruit and nut mix, and vanilla. Cover and chill for 1 hour (or 10 minutes if you are hungry and don’t really care about trivial things like directions) .
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). You can also forget to do this, and shove the cookies into the un-preheated oven adding an extra five minutes to your timer and hoping for the best.
  3. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar orange juice and zest. If you are me, the zester was in the dishwasher so you simply scraped some skin off the oranges with a knife.
  4. Pick the large chunks of skin out of the bowl, forget to turn the mixer off, shout “Fuck” again and again until you realize, you should probably turn the mixer off.
  5. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda; some would advise you measure the salt...I say, throw caution to the wind and just shake it a little, see what happens. Also, by combine i think they mean sift, I don’t sift, I fork. So fork together those things.
  6. Add the forked mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until all of the things are one thing, do this gradually or else cover yourself in flour. Also, put the gaurd thingy on your mixer, or else cover yourself in flour. I am currently covered in flour.
  7. . Next, stir in the egg and fruit and nut mixture, realize here that in the originaly recipe you found on allrecipes, the nuts weren’t supposed to be soaked in anything becuase they didn’t use a mix, just raisins and nuts separate. Hope to hell that doesn’t do anything wierd to them...then stir in the rolled oats. get covered in rolled oats.
  8. Eat approximately ⅛ of the dough
  9. Dough will be stiff. Drop by ice cream scoop fuls (it said teaspoons originally, but who are we kidding) onto an unprepared cookie sheet. That means not greased. But if yours look like mine ,that means black stuff on the bottom of them, so put some foil on the thing to protect them.
  10. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or 15-17 min in the non-preheated oven, until the edges are golden, or you can’t wait any more. Scald tongue repeatedly eating cookies before they cool. Shout, “I win at baking!” while writing a blog post about your superior cookies.
  11. serve with beer and chocolate milk, because everything is better with beer and chocolate milk.


No comments:

Post a Comment